Your garage door is an essential yet often overlooked part of your home. Among the most critical components of this system are the garage door springs. These springs, be they torsion springs or extension springs, work alongside your garage door opener to smoothly and safely operate your garage door. However, like all mechanical systems, your springs are subject to wear and tear, which might require a garage door spring repair or, in some cases, a complete garage door spring replacement.
So, how do you know when your garage door springs need replacing? This article offers a comprehensive look into the telltale signs that your springs might be nearing the end of their lifespan and what homeowners should do when a spring breaks.
Common Signs of a Broken Garage Door Spring
- Difficulty in Operating the Door: If your garage door feels significantly heavier than usual or the automatic opener struggles to lift it, a broken torsion spring or extension spring might be to blame. These springs counterbalance the weight of the door, making it light enough for the opener system or even manual lifting.
- Loud Noise: If a garage door spring breaks, it often produces a loud noise that can be startling. The sound results from the sudden release of tension in the spring system.
- Visible Gap in the Spring: A clear sign of a broken garage door spring is a visible gap in the torsion spring. This gap typically forms where the spring broke apart.
- Door Falls Quickly When Lowering: Garage door springs help control the speed at which the garage door closes. If your door falls rapidly or even slams shut, it’s a sign that the spring tension might not be functioning correctly.
- Door Is Crooked: If a garage door uses extension springs, one side of the garage door might raise slower than the other if a spring breaks. This discrepancy results in a crooked door.
- Squeaking Sounds: While a squeak doesn’t necessarily mean the springs are broken, persistent noise despite adequate lubrication may suggest the springs are nearing the end of their lifespan. Corrosion is often a leading cause of squeaking garage door springs.
DIY Vs. Professional Garage Door Spring Replacement
If you suspect you have a broken garage door spring, you might be tempted to fix it yourself. While DIY solutions may seem appealing, they come with significant risks. Garage door springs operate under high tension, and incorrect handling can lead to severe injury.
The process of replacing a garage door spring involves unwinding the old spring, a task that requires special tools and precise measurements. Missteps during this process can cause the spring to unwind rapidly and uncontrollably. Therefore, homeowners should leave the heavy lifting to the garage door technicians.
Additionally, correctly installing a new garage door spring requires precision. The spring system must be balanced perfectly to ensure the door operates smoothly and safely. Over-tightening can put unnecessary strain on the garage door opener, while a loose spring might not provide the necessary counterbalance for the weight of the door.
Entrusting Your Garage Door to the Experts
When your garage door springs exhibit the common signs of damage or wear, it’s best to reach out to a garage door repair company. These experts have the skills, experience, and tools necessary to safely and effectively replace your garage door springs.
Garage door experts will also perform a complete tune-up of your system. They will check for other potential issues, like worn pulleys or issues with the garage door opener. By doing this, they ensure the longevity and reliability of your entire garage door system.
In conclusion, knowing how to tell if your garage door spring needs to be replaced is crucial for maintaining a functional, safe home. However, the process of replacing these springs should be left to professionals due to the inherent risks and precision required.
Don’t let a broken garage door spring leave you with a stuck or unsafe garage door. Trust your local experts. For those in the Milton, Guelph, Kitchener, and Waterloo areas, reach out to AMS Garage Doors. Our skilled technicians are ready to help you with any garage door repairs, replacements, or installations. We’re here to provide honest information, professional recommendations, and top-notch customer service. Contact us today at 647-923-1209 to schedule your garage door service!